In the past, people missing all of their teeth had no option but dentures. This prosthesis has numerous disadvantages, such as:
- Dentures are uncomfortable and often painful
- Dentures do not look natural, especially when eating
- As the bone continues to melt away, the dentures become loose, and can fall out when laughing, sneezing, or coughing without the use of adhesives
- Wearing dentures can undermine a person’s self confidence
- People without their teeth and supporting bone visibly age much faster
- It is not possible to eat certain foods, such as steak, corn on the cob and apples
These problems can be solved with implant supported replacement teeth, which are stable (securely fastened to the implants) and maintain the integrity of the facial structures by preserving the bone.
Some of the many advantages of implant supported replacement teeth include the following:
- They are more comfortable and stable than traditional dentures
- They reduce and in some cases eliminate the bone resorption (deterioration) process
- Integrity of the facial structures is supported
- Appearance can be improved
- It is not necessary to cover the roof of the mouth as with a conventional upper denture.
- Relines and repairs are infrequent compared to traditional dentures
- Natural biting and chewing capacity is restored