Highlights of our Practice’s History
1956 – Dr. Philip B. Peters, the first oral surgeon to graduate from MCV, opened his practice of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in Richmond, VA in the fan area on North Boulevard.
1957 – Dr. Peters established the Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Section of Children’s Hospital, for the treatment of skeletal malformation and cleft palate patients.
1961 – Dr. Bennett A. Malbon joined Dr. Peters.
1967 – Dr. Phil Peters performed the first Intra-Oral Sagittal Split Osteotomy of the mandible in Virginia with Dr. Ray White and Dr. Rex Collins.
1970 – Their practice was relocated to 3217 Grove Avenue. This location remained active until 2003.
1971 – Peters & Malbon, Associates Ltd. became one of the first Professional Corporations in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
1972 – Charles L. Cuttino joined Drs. Peters and Malbon.
1973 – Dr. Peters & Dr. Cuttino were the first to perform a Lefort I Maxillary Osteotomy in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
1974 – Dr. Richard K. Green joined the Practice adding a second office at 8503 Patterson Avenue, the present location of our administrative office, one of our clinics, and our dental implant center.
1981 – Dr. James F. Nelson joined the Practice. There were now five surgeons in our group.
1982 – Our first Southside location at 9017 Forest Hill Avenue was added.
1987 – The first diagnosis and surgical repair of temporal mandibular joint disease by arthroscopy in Virginia was performed by Dr. Charles Cuttino.
1992 – The Practice merged with the practice of Dr. Michael Miller and Dr. Thomas A. Eschenroeder, P.C. in 1992, and our office in Glen Allen was added, enabling the doctors to serve patients in the far West End area.
1993 – Dr. Gregory M. Zoghby, who had been practicing at his office at 1807 Huguenot Road in Midlothian, joined the Practice and the Southside office on Forest Hill was relocated to the Huguenot Road Location
1996 – Dr. Jeffrey E. Cyr joined the Practice. Merging with his office in the Brandermill area gave the Practice an additional Southside presence.
2002 – The Huguenot Road Office moved to a renovated suite in the Featherstone Professional & Medical Center.
2003 – The Administrative office was relocated from the old Grove Avenue location to the second story of the newly renovated Patterson Avenue office building and the group became known as Commonwealth Oral & Facial Surgery.
2005 – A staff of about 45 employees helps the doctors meet the clinical and clerical needs of patients at our four clinics and the Administrative office.
2006 – The Practice celebrated its 50 year anniversary. The Brandermill area office was relocated to to a new office at 5942 Harbour Park Drive.
2007 – Dr. Andrew “Drew” Ferguson joined the Practice.
2013 – Dr. Ammar A. Sarraf joined the Practice.
2019 – Dr. Charles D. Boxx joined the practice.
2021 – Dr. Tom Eschenroeder retired (June).
2021 – Dr. Lauren Kaplan and Dr. Nick Broccoli joined the practice (August).
2021 – Our third Southside office was opened in Chester (November).
2022 – A staff of about 80 employees helps the doctors meet the clinical and clerical needs of patients at our six clinics and the Administrative office.
2022 – Dr. Walter K. Murphy, after years of solo practice, joined COFS, expanding our presence into the Mechanicsville area. We have a long relationship of working together and share a patient focused philosophy with high quality care and service.
2022 – Dr. Sean Eccles joins COFS in August. He will see patients at our Mechanicsville and Huguenot locations.
2023 – Dr. Walter Murphy retired (March)